Monday, June 3, 2013

Apart From God, I Have No Good Thing

June 2, 2013 By John Mark Fabie

Psalms 16:2 – “I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord, apart from you I have no good thing.”

Just reading the verse, we already have many interpretations and points of view in regards to the message it brings. In essence, even as little as one verse or as big as a whole passage, God has a personal message for those who read and meditate on His word.
In truth, I don’t have a background about the Psalms 16 although commentaries say that it is a psalm of atonement. The message I’m about to share to you came from Don Carson’s For the Love of God, Volume 1.This book, if read day after day guarantees that within two years, you’d be able to finish reading the Bible. Don Carson’s book is where my previous message about Genesis 5 came from and this time Psalms 16:2.


Part 1 – Goodness Defined
Let me ask you a question, what, for you is the meaning of good? All of us has a different explanation of good. As one said, it may be something that gives you pleasure, whether it be wrong or bad. Another question, what makes something good? As again, we all have our own answers for this question, as the previous one. One said that something is good if it does not cause harm and yet it contradicts the first one’s statement of the meaning of good (Something that gives you pleasure, whether it be wrong or bad). I’m not saying that these answers are right nor wrong, they are our own opinions. What can be a good thing for yourself could be considered as bad for others. We all have different points of view for these things. But what does the Bible say? If it is not for God, all things are useless, are nothing. The things that you have, or the things that you do, if it is not for God, it is worthless. People, in general, keep things even make it their favorite, if it is useful for them, whether intellectually (such as a book), emotionally (such as a teddy bear), or physically (such as a pair of shorts). But these good “thing” that we may have, remember that there is always something better than this, far, far better. No other than our Creator of course, for is it not He who made these things and provided them to you (directly or indirectly)? David goes to say in this verse that there is no other good thing than the God he worships. Which is very true, no one can compare to the goodness that our God has for His creations. And yet, all the goodness that you see in your environment, because of our sin, because of Satan, can become something that replaces God. A good thing that becomes a god-thing. Example, the sun. It is a very good thing for it function to gives us light and warmth, it is a main source of energy for food production of the plants, and it activates the Vitamin D in our body to help in calcium absorption. Is it not a very good and useful thing? And yet in ancient times, the ancient Egyptians, practice polytheism, worshiped the sun whom they named Ra clearly breaking the first commandment which is to “Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength” (Deuteronomy 6:5). And there were other civilizations who tended to worship nature, the moon, the stars, the trees, etc. Even now, although it’s rare to see people explicitly worshiping the sun and the moon and the stars, our worship has changed its form, from nature to gadgets to vices to all sorts of addiction and even the good things such as food, career, and family, are being worshiped by people. Idolatry, bright as day. If we remove God from these good things, what will be left then? No goodness, nothing even. I know a friend who told me that every time he watched a movie, he tries to find the Gospel in it because if he watches it as it is, it will lose its goodness. What made the movie good and beautiful in his eyes was the Gospel that he saw in it. Take God out of your life and you will be left with nothing. That’s why David says, “You are my Lord, apart from you I have no good thing”.

Part 2 – Apart From You
Let’s define the meaning of “Apart from you..”. Sometimes people say to other people, “Because of me, you wouldn't even be in that position.” But David says, “Apart from you my Lord, I have nothing good.” And it reminds me of a verse in John 15:5.  As long as the branches remain in the vine, it will have a continuous supply of nutrients. But if you cut a branch from the vine, the vine can still produce more branches but the branch, it won’t survive. If we separate ourselves from the Lord, we too, slowly die (spiritually of course), and our only usefulness is to be used as fuel. Despite our sinfulness, our God is a very good God for He provided His son Jesus to cover our sinfulness. Jesus who sinless, good, and everything that is perfect, sent to be sacrificed, took away all our sins, bore them, and died on the cross for us and for his Father. These things that we have, apart from the Lord, we are nothing, we can do nothing good. So let me end this message with a song that I composed, “Without You, I Am Nothing”. 

Without You, I Am Nothing
Verse
You are my Light, which is my guide, Jesus
You are my Rock, in which is stand, oh God
You are the King that I serve
You are our Lord who saves the word

Chorus
Without You, I am lost
Without You, I am nothing
Without You, I can’t stand
Without you Lord, I am nothing

Repeat Verse and Chorus

Bridge
You are the goodness in me
You are my strength, my treasure, my life, my everything (2x)


No comments:

Post a Comment